There are many planned charitable giving tools, including:
- Will or Estate Planning Bequests: One of the most widely used, simple and lasting forms of planned giving is a bequest. You can designate a specific dollar amount or percentage of your estate to be donated to Lemhi Regional Land Trust.
- Gifts of Real Estate: Lemhi Regional Land Trust will accept gifts of conservation lands intended to be protected and real estate which is intended to be sold by the Land Trust to support our work.
- Gifts of Retirement Accounts: You can designate Lemhi Regional Land Trust as a beneficiary of all or part of the remainder of your IRA or retirement plan. Distributions of your IRA or retirement plan to your heirs can be subject to income and estate taxes. By designating the Land Trust as a beneficiary, 100% of the balance can be used by the Land Trust.
- Gifts of Stock and appreciated securities: Lemhi Regional Land Trust will accept gifts of stock and securities which are intended to be sold by the Land Trust to support our work.
- Charitable Lead Trust You can continue to contribute annually to the Land Trust for a specified term. This tool allows you to provide for your heirs while reducing gift and estate taxes. At the end of the term, trust assets can be transferred to your beneficiaries.
- Charitable Remainder Trust This tool can provide income for you, your spouse or other beneficiaries. Upon death, a specific amount or percentage of your estate will be designated to your heirs and the remaining balance can be donated to the Lemhi Regional Land Trust to support our work and avoid capital gains taxes.
- Gifts of Life Insurance If you have more life insurance coverage than is needed, you can consider transferring ownership of your policy to the Lemhi Regional Trust in order to receive a charitable income tax deduction.
Leaving a bequest is simple and gives you the opportunity to make a significant difference. Your gift can be directed for a specific purpose within Lemhi Regional Land Trust’s mission or leave it to the discretion of the Board of Directors. To make a bequest, consult with your tax or legal advisor, and please contact Kristin Troy at the Land Trust office.
Sample Bequest Language: I give and bequeath ____________ (amount, percent of estate or description of property) to the Lemhi Regional Land Trust for ______________ (specific purpose) OR its general purposes and use at the discretion of its Board of Directors.
If you have honored the Land Trust with a legacy gift, please let us know so we can acknowledge your generosity and can welcome you to the Legacy Circle. We have established this group to honor donors who provide a future legacy for land protection in our area.